The first half lived up to the game's billing with the Gaels leading at the main break 39-33. However, the turning point of this game may just have been when Mills went down with a wrist injury three minutes before the half.
The Aussie was on fire from long range dropping 6-8 threes. Mills, who ended with 18pts, did not return in the second half as it is believed he has a sprained wrist.
In the second half the Gaels could not keep pace with the Zags scoring as the final scoreline read 69-62 Gonzaga.
Other Aussies involved in the game were point guard Carlin Hughes who was down on his season averages, had 2pts, 3rebs and 3asts.
Little used Ben Allen saw nine minutes of court time.
Mackay born freshman Clint Steindl, was not shy. He got up seven shots in his sixteen minutes but could not connected on any.
Tassie boy Lucas Walker had his best game of the season to date. His nine points and three rebounds were season highs.
I wish Pat a speedy recovery.
You can catch the replay of this game on ESPN Saturday night.
- Mills loves the idea of playing in Spokane. It is an experience.
- St Mary's and it's pipeline of Aussie talent.
- Tomorrow night will probably pull down the curtain on the North Queensland Derby. (Townsville/Cairns for those of you geographically challenged.)
It seems that the Cairns Taipans franchise are pretty much running on fumes at the moment and unless a White Knight answers the call and buys the team, the Snakes become extinct in a few weeks. Quite a shame for a franchise that has been around for 10 years in the national competition and showed promise.
On with the game though. My teammate Corey "Homicide" Williams has questioned Taipans Aaron Grabau's philosophies of the game.
I will let you read the article and draw your own conclusions.
Here's Cairns Taipans coach Mark Beecroft's response.
- Sydney Sausages, anyone?
- Melbourne Tigers make it eight in a row with a workmanlike 113-104 win over the Wollongong Hawks tonight.
- An article on Nathan Jawai's NBA start.
- Is this the best Newley in the game?
1993 NBL Dunk Competition